Friday, April 1, 2022

Jessica Williams Plays for Lovers

 © Copyright ® Steven Cerra, copyright protected; all rights reserved.



Jessica Williams Plays for Lovers

Jessica Williams, piano


“This is an album I've wanted to make for some time. This business is highly competitive, and often the beauty and the simplicity that is the hallmark of much great music is lost or given over to speed, chops, and appearances. Style over substance. White technique is fundamental and is necessary for the execution of any music or art, it is not everything; it is not the ends, only the means. I wanted to let go of that great need to compete, to be thought of as a 'great’ player. I wanted to just do what I do well, the way I do it when I'm home, alone. I just wanted to play and make myself feel warm and alive and whole.


That's what I did here.


All the tunes here are standards, with the exception of a beautiful John Lennon tune ("Love is Real") and "Flamenco Sketches" (which has appeared twice on other CDs in my discography...I must like it). Also here is "Naima", and a Coltrane-inspired version of "Blue Moon". I've already 'used' this cd many times; to de-stress, to relax, to improve my mood. I create my own medicine, (yes. and my own poison, as we afl do) and heal myself with

my own spirit. I hope you find this similarly 'useful.’”


Recorded in Sept. 2000


It's a bit confusing, but click on the purple play button on the Soundcloud file on the banner of the blog to hear Jessica's beautiful version of Coltrane's Naima.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. Thank you.