Saturday, July 29, 2023

Mike Le Donne on Working with Ron Carter

 © -Steven Cerra, copyright protected; all rights reserved.


Now that I’m playing drums again on somewhat of a regular basis, I’m always delighted when someone from the audience comes up to me during a break and shares their amazement about the almost telepathic relationship between the musicians in the group.


The implication is that what we do to make the music seems like magic to them.


While I’m always happy that what we are doing pleases them and that our work seems so effortless, those of us involved in making the music know how complicated it all is in terms of all the things that have to happen almost instantaneously.


Experienced players have established musical “personalities” so the challenge is at once - how to express yours while accommodating those of the others. 


And, of course, making it appear so seamless and effortless.


Mike LeDonne further elaborates on this dynamic in this account of what’s going on with iconic Jazz bassist Ron Carter when he works in “MY trio” along with the superb drummer, Carl Allen.


“How lucky am I to get to have Ron Carter in MY trio! From the first time we did it back in 1999 it's been a dream come true. To be able to get on the bandstand and call all your favorite tunes and when the band strikes up it's RON CARTER'S bass playing you hear. That sound, that swing and style from so many of your favorite records is now happening live with you. Not one of the many bass players influenced by him but the man himself.

And then there's the journey he takes you on while playing together. The bass lines that make tunes you've been playing for years sound new and go in different directions. I call it MY trio but when I play with Mr Carter he's driving the boat and I love the places we go together. If you're open to what he's doing and listen up you're in for a fun ride.

And let me tell you something about the Maestro. Yes he's the Maestro, and he's deserving of that title, but he is also still very much humbled by the music. He's the ONLY bass player that I know that always willingly and happily comes over to my apt to run over the music. He actually WANTS to rehearse because he respects the music so much he knows even a Maestro can get caught from time to time and he's not about to take any chances.

I've learned so much from him not only about music but about being a pro. When we first started playing together I had these hand written parts that were messy (because I'm left handed) with the chords above the staff and pretty much nothing else. After our first gig together he brought over one of the sheets and pointed to the empty staffs and said "Mike, I don't know what I'm supposed to do here". I didn't understand so I said something stupid like "walk the bass?"

That's when he pointed out that there were rests in all the bars which means don't play and if I wanted him to walk each staff needed 4 slashes signalling him to play and not rest. This is what a pro like Ron Carter, who is on thousands of recordings, is used to not some old smudged sloppily written pencil part. I was embarrassed and now I have all very neat computer written parts in alphabetical order with 4 slashes, or notes if there are particular bass lines called for, in a binder that says "Mike LeDonne Bass" on it. Every bass player I work with benefits from that lesson Mr Carter gave me.

I call him Mr Carter and Maestro out of the respect I feel for him as an icon musician. It took me a long time to finally feel like we were friends but I'm glad to say we definitely are and on a human level he's a wonderful, generous and very funny man. He's a very put together man in every respect, the way he walks, talks, dresses and plays are meticulous and precise. That's the standard he sets for himself and that's what he expects from the people around him.

This can make people a bit nervous, especially when meeting him for the first time, but then he gives a smile and cracks a sly joke and all the pressure's off because the bottom line with Ron Carter is that underneath all the brilliance, precision and innovative playing is some serious grease. We're all very lucky to still have him around playing at such a high level and when I get my opportunity to play with him I don't waste any of it on being nervous. I sit down and just enjoy every bad assed minute of that swing and absorb it because that's what I live for and the other night at Smoke was exceptional, just a joy from beginning to end. Thanks to all that came out and a big shout out to my partner in time Carl Allan for swinging his behind off and taking the ride with class and imagination. A++!!!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. Thank you.